Summer is approaching and with it, flesh-baring season. If you’d like to embark on a body prep regime that’ll garner real results, here’s what you need to know:
The Modern Diet
It’s no longer about depriving yourself of food. Feel full, balance your gut and strengthen the body through nutrition. Jump on these 9 tips right now and you will look and feel more lithe in one month:
1. Eat grains, beans and pulses - they are high in fibre, the magnesium is vital for toning and B vitamins contribute to weight loss.
2. Fermented foods like sauerkraut contain enzymes and bacteria that are the key to a healthy digestive system and therefore halt the bloat.
3. Aim to make seasonal fruits and vegetables half your daily food intake. Dark leafy green vegetables like kale and watercress are full of phytonutrients that will dial up your energy levels and help to protect your cells from damage.
4. Chia seeds reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol and regulate bowel function, so throw a spoonful into your porridge in the morning.
5. Protein (including fish, eggs, nuts, pulses, lean meat) is essential to build muscle and reduces insulin spikes.
6. Sneak super-herbs like Ashwaghanda into everything - they help with fatigue and metabolism.
7. Semi-fasting with detox juices and soups for a few days can rest, repair and clean the digestive tract, improving the function of the intestines and metabolism, balancing hormones, and reducing constipation and bloating. After your fast, eat breakfast, lunch and a small dinner like bone broth (which provides a number of essential nutrients with anti-inflammatory properties) with no snacks in between. And make time to chew every mouthful thoroughly!
8. Don’t drink while eating. Have a glass of water about 30 minutes before a meal and then after to make the digestion process more efficient.
9. Avoid salty foods, refined carbs, dairy, meat and sugar.
Body Products that Work
Reduce Puff. Legology Exfo-lite Stimulating Salts for Legs drains excess fluid and reduces puffiness around ankles.
Budge Fat. Environ Body Serum decreases the development of mature fat cells, destroys accumulated fat and slows the creation of new fat deposits.
Streamline. Decleor Aromessence Baume Slim Effect contains a blend of stimulating essential oils to tone loose skin.
Moisturise. Clarins Tonic Body Treatment Oil conditions the skin and smells pretty delicious too.
Radiate. Show Beauty Allure Body Shimmer Oil is a lightweight, nourishing oil that softens the skin, leaving a beautiful sheen.
Build up Muscle
Building lean muscle is the key to a youthful physique – and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Follow these five tips to building up:
1. Use light weights or resistance bands. As you become stronger, build up to heavier weights to work your muscles harder.
2. Move slowly – any fast movement will rely more on momentum than muscle effort.
3. Vary the pace of the workout. Switch up a gentle jog with a fast sprint to help boost growth hormones which increase lean muscle mass.
4. Take a day’s rest to reduce the strain on the immune system.
5 Cut down on endurance exercise like spinning or long-distance jogging, which use lots of zinc up and produce cortisol – the stress hormone - which encourages the body to store fat around the middle. Plus, over 60-minutes means that our body eats into muscle.